Back on the bike
from blog August 23, 2005
I was unable to commute to work by bike for the past few weeks. After a couple days back in the saddle I realize how great the smells are on the bike commute. The highlights now are probably pretty similiar to the highlights I mentioned in an earlier post, but here’s how it stacks up now:
- various clareodendrun trees on Lincoln
- the general smell of wet morning mist
- the dairy plant by the river
- the dusty cement plant by the river
- the river itself
It makes me wonder how to communicate to Elliott about smells. How do you teach someone to appreciate smells?
2 Responses to “back on the bike”
1. Ryan Says: August 25th, 2005 at 12:46 pm
I have to clarify for John that the dairy plant by the river smells like MILK, not like COWS, so it actually *does* count for a great smell.
2. Bob Says: August 26th, 2005 at 2:32 am
Milk wasn’t the first thing that came to my mind, either.
With Elliott, why not try first with some obvious big smell items, like a flower, a strawberry, a cow… and try to get him to mimic you smelling them? That’s what I’d do.